Thanks to Freddy Koikaran, we have detailed information on how to reach Chennai and what roads to take. Please read this and share, and this may just save someone’s life:
Sourced from Freddy’s post on Facebook:
I was in Kanchipuram and drove into Chennai today and have reached home safely at Perungudi. For the benefit of those who need to venture out, I am providing details of the route I drove.
1. Kanchipuram to Koyembedu: the road is quite good. There are areas that have potholes, but no water logging at all.
2. Maduravoil flyover: you cannot head towards Tambaram, so avoid the flyover completely.
3. Koyembedu flyover to Chetpet Bridge: Absolutely no problem on the roads.
4. Chetpet Bridge to Gemini: again, no problem, except for a bit of water logging on Nungambakkam High Road.
5. Gemini to TTK Road signal: no problem.
6. TTK Road signal to RA Puram: no problem, but a bit of water logging near Billroth Hospital.
7. DO NOT HEAD TOWARDS KOTTURPURAM BRIDGE, AS IT HAS BEEN CLOSED. There is significant water logging on the stretch from Greenways Road signal to Boat Club area.
8. Billroth Hospital signal to Music College via Mylapore: no problem except for a bit of water logging near the playground next to Music College.
9. Adyar Bridge: no problem, but the Adyar Flyover is closed.
10. Adyar signal to Thiruvanmiyur signal: no problem.
11. THIS IS THE PROBLEM AREA: heavy water logging towards Buckingham Canal AND towards Tidel Park SIGNAL (basically the only 2 options to reach the OMR). I opted for the Tidel Park signal and almost got stuck in the water.
12. If you safely cross to the OMR, the road is motorable up to the Perungudi toll plaza.
THIS IS ALL FIRSTHAND INFORMATION, AS I DROVE THIS ROUTE THIS MORNING, AND MADE NUMEROUS DETOURS TO FINALLY GET HOME. PLEASE SHARE THIS INFO WITH